How to avoid sexual immorality.
Learn how, with these 10 helpful tips.
God commands and demands a certain standard among us as his saved people.
But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Ephesians 5:3
Naturally, we all find this an incredibly hard thing to do. This command feels completely impossible for most and perhaps all of the time. The area of sex can be a place in our lives where we can feel powerless and it seems that Satan is winning the battle, as our bodies are constantly screaming at us to disobey God in this area. Even though we cannot perfectly obey Gods commands, we need to be at a place where we want to intentionally seek out ways to live our lives in obedience to God.
Above anything else, we all need to know and understand what God says about sex and trust what God says about sex.
Here are 10 tips to help you avoid sexual immorality.
1. Be careful of what you fill your minds with. The battle begins in the mind. Imagination is often the hotbed where sin originates.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8
2. Pray daily. Depend on God, on the power of His Holy Spirit to strengthen you in this battle.
Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually! 1 Chronicles 16:11
3. Flee from sexual immorality. Don’t put yourself in a situation where you will be easily tempted.
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 1 Corinthians 6:18
4. Remember God is always with you. You are never completely out of sight. Someone can always see you.
Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the LORD. Jeremiah 23:24
5. Be prepared to cut certain things from your life. If certain websites, magazines, TV shows, or peer groups are causing you to sin, they need to go.
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell. Matthew 5:29-30
6. Keep yourself accountable. You can’t fight this alone. You need God’s help and you need God’s people’s help too. Find someone you trust & share your struggle.
Therefore confess your sin to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. James 5:16
7. Remember the cross. Jesus died for our sins, including our sexual sins.
Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification. Romans 4:24-25
8. Remember Jesus is coming back. We all will have to give an account for our lives, even our sex life.
So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Romans 14:12
9. Struggling is a good sign. Keep fighting and don’t give in. Know that Jesus was tempted in every way that we were and can help us in our trials.
For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted. Hebrews 2:18
10. Forgiveness is always available. If you sin sexually you can still be forgiven, such is the power of the cross of Christ. So repent, turn back to God and live for Him.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
I hope and pray that these tips will help you in this fight. Remember, ‘not even a hint of sexual immorality’ is God’s loving standard for you.