Don’t grow up too much
Why Jesus wants us to remain childlike.
How would you answer the question, "Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?"
When you first think about it, you might say someone who is...
- Deeply religious
- Highly disciplined
- A serious Bible scholar
- A famous pastor or teacher
In other words, we often think the greatest person in the Kingdom of Heaven would probably be a wise old man. But let's see what Jesus said when he was asked this same question...
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:1-4 NIV)
What is it about little children that Jesus is trying to say we should be like in this passage of the Bible?
I don't think he was saying we should be immature or silly like kids can be. But here's a couple of things he might have been suggesting:
- Children depend entirely on their parents
- Children accept and believe things quickly
- Children know they need the help of other people
- Children live in the moment and enjoy what they have
- Children trust those who care for them
So what could that mean for you and I in our relationship with Jesus?
Growing up with God
When we grow up, we are often told that the goal is to become independent. We are trained to leave our parents, get a job, make a living and stop depending on other people for what we need.
However, our relationship with God is quite different.
- Growing up with God means we depend more on him every day
- Growing up with God means we learn to accept what He says quickly and without questioning
- Growing up with God means we admit we can't do things on our own
- Growing up with God means we learn to be thankful what he has given us, and enjoy each day he provides
- Growing up with God means we trust Him, because we know he cares for us
So don't grow up too quickly. Don't give in to thinking the goal of life is to become independent. Just like a child depends on their parents for everything they need, we need to remember that we depend on God for everything too.
© Copyright 2019 Fervr | Terms of Service