Log Christians vs. Speck Christians
Are you busy looking at your own issues, or everyone else's?
Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:3-5 ESV)
Are you a Christian who focuses a lot of your time on the 'specks' in other people's eyes, or are you trying hard to get the 'log' out of your own?
Not sure which one you are? Keep reading...
A 'Speck Christian' is someone who is always talking about how much better the world would be if everyone would just fix themselves.
Some things you might hear a 'Speck Christian' say are:
- If churches started doing ____________, they would finally be ok.
- If my friends all just _____________, they would all be better people.
- If organisations learned to ________________, I would be happier with them.
- If Christian youth would start _________________, our youth groups would FINALLY be good enough.
A 'Log Christian' is someone who is always examining their own hearts for issues, sins, and problems and, in an effort to glorify God, attempts to change.
This Christian simply acknowledge that he or she has the SAME issues as everyone else and takes the time to work on those issues before God as a reaction to his grace.
Some things you might hear a 'Log Christian' say are:
- As a part of a church, I’d like to try starting to help the church with its issues.
- As a Christian son or daughter, I’ll start loving my family despite its issues.
- As part of a Christian organisation, I’ll learn help people in need with their issues.
- As a Christian high schooler, I can see ways I need to change at school & at home.
Both the Spec Christian and the Log Christian have logs in their eyes.
The difference between them is the 'Speck Christian' can’t see clearly enough to help anyone else. They make a lot of noise, but no one is truly benefited.
The 'Log Christian' not only tries to resolve his own issues in the grace of God, but they are then freed up to help others with the specks in their eyes - truly benefiting those God puts in his or her path.