Thor vs Jesus
Does Thor have just as much right to call himself a god as Jesus?
Unlike some other recent Marvel comic adaptations” I thought Thor was a pretty good movie. Action sequences were good; acting was above average; even the plot made sense (sort of).
But the movie also got me thinking about the similarities between Thor and Jesus. For example did you notice that:
1. Both Thor and Jesus are supposedly ‘gods’ who come down to earth from heaven.
2. Both have a Father who is said to be ‘God’.
3. Both Thor and Jesus have great beards and golden hair (at least in some people’s idea of what Jesus looked like).
4. Both have enormous power and win great victories.
5. Both said they would come back to planet earth.
Then again the differences between Thor and Jesus are even more striking:
1. Thor was sent to earth for his sins; his arrogance pride and disobedience. Jesus was sent to earth for our sins;our arrogance pride and disobedience.
2. Thor was forced to come to earth at the will of his Father. Jesus willingly came to earth to do the will of his Father (Matthew 26:39).
3. Thor came to earth looking to be served. Jesus came to earth not to be served but to give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45).
4. Thor was loved by the world he came into. Jesus was despised and rejected by the world he came into (John 1:10-11).
5. Thor is the god of Thunder. Jesus had a few mates who were the sons of thunder (Mark 3:13-17).
6. Thor won a great victory with one big hammer. Jesus won a greater victory with 3 small nails (Colossians 2:13-15).
7.In winning his battle against evil Thor closed the access point between the world of the gods and mankind. In winning his battle against evil Jesus opened up the access between God and mankind (Hebrews 10:19-22)
8. And lastly Thor is mythology. Jesus is real history (Luke 1:1-4; 1 John 1:1-4).
So I had a great time watching Thor the movie. But I’m having an even greater time following the historical powerful despised sacrificial obedient ” victorious Jesus.