Praying for your youth group
Some ways you can regularly be praying for the people in your youth group
The Apostle Paul prayed faithfully for the Christians in the church at Colossae, even though he had never met them. How much more should we devote ourselves to pray for the young Christians we meet personally every week?
But sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start and what to pray for.
Paul’s prayer for the Colossian Christians can also provide a simple model or pattern for our own prayers.
'We always pray for you, and we give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. For we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all of God’s people.' (Colossians 1: 3- 4)
- Give thanks for those who trust in Christ. Pray for individual group members and their continuing spiritual growth.
- Give thanks for the fellowship experienced by the group. Pray for unity, harmony and lasting friendships among the group members.
- Pray for their witness to friends and family. Pray that as others join the group, they will come to know Christ themselves.
'So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding.' (V 9)
- Ask God to help the group members know and understand what he wants them to do with their lives. Pray for an openness to serve God with their time and gifts.
- Ask God to give them a deeper spiritual wisdom and understanding. Pray for wisdom in resolving problems and that they become more like Christ.
'Then the way you live will always honour and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.' (V 10)
- Ask God to help them honour and live for him, continually doing good to others. Pray for the fruit of the spirit in their lives (Galatians 5: 22-23). Pray for their families.
- Pray for compassion towards others in spiritual or physical need.
'We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.' (V 11-12)
- Ask God to give them strength and endurance for their Christian life. Pray for freedom against the pressure to conform. Pray against evil influences.
- Pray for God to fill them with his joy and thankfulness for new life in Christ.
Article written by Grahame Knox from http://insight.typepad.co.uk
Read more about
© Copyright 2019 Fervr | Terms of Service